Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cute Prayers

Saying a prayer in our house hold is a funny phenomena. McKenna says a really heart felt prayer only to have Conner comment afterward "don't say a prayer so long I can't keep my eyes closed that long". Kylie likes to repeat the same prayer for everything. She does omit blessing the food for personal and family prayers but everything else is the same. Conner and Kelsey say a normal 4 year old prayer that consists with eyes open and arms occasionally folded. Now the meal prayer needs improvement because the one who usually says the prayer is the one who hasn't snitched something off their plate with their mouth full.

With this in mind I have made an effort at making our prayers more meaningful. We discuss the right order of prayer and the items we should talk about in our prayers. How we should address and close a prayer. I just went through the basics but one thing I really wanted my kids to know was they were able to pray anytime and about anything they want. I told them Heavenly Father wants to hear from you all the time and about anything. Imagine he is with you and you are talking to him. Conner took this to heart!!

On Monday our weather was horrible. We had it all at our house, rain, snow, and hail. While we were in the car driving it was hailing and Conner wanted to know why if it was spring it was "raining ice" I started to explain the weather patterns and how the atmosphere works when he stopped me in mid sentence and said he was going to ask Heavenly Father and told everyone to fold their arms (he did tell me I was able to keep driving) and said the shortest and cutest prayer asking Heavenly Father about the weather. Well yesterday as we were getting ready for the day I heard an owl and brought the kids around and we listened to it for a while and tried to find it outside. I explained that owls were nocturnal and what it meant and that I was confused as to why this owl was hooting during the day. Conner stopped immediately what he was doing and knelt down and said a little prayer asking Heavenly Father why the owl was awake during the day and if it was hurt or needed help. He also asked if he could see it. Well we never did see it but these two little experiences humble me. I know Heavenly Father truly listens to me and knows how I feel and what I need. I relearned a great lesson this week from Conner and I truly appreciate his innocent little heart.

8 comments:

~~heather said...

That is so sweet! Thank you for sharing ... I think we *all* could take that lesson from Connor and apply it in our lives... you and your kids are awesome!! I am so blessed to know you!
Love,
~~heather

Lorna said...

Jim was quick to tell me that I needed to check the blog. Thank you for doing something that pleases your father-in-law so much. We are both very proud of you and of cource love the subjects too.
Love mom

The Wells Family said...

That is so cute... it's amazing what you can learn from your little kids.. oh about the site meter.. it's kind of involved but i got mine off of sitemeter.com... so you can google it and maybe it will give you instructions if not i will find out how I did it and let you know. I know that probably doesn't help but i'll get you more info later

DeAnna said...

This just brought me to tears. Out of the mouths of babes.....

DeAnna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeAnna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow Steph! Your kids are so big, too. And so cute. Time does fly! Trying to teach our children how to pray better is always a challenge, esp. since we have to work on it so much ourselves. You guys are doing a great job, I'm sure.

chelseabenoit said...

It is so wonderful to know that my little nices and nephew are already learning the right things. It's amazing how many older "youth" still don't know these things. That shows what wonderful parents you and mark are!!! We love you two and tell all the kids hi!!! Love uncle eric and aunt chelsea