Nilla was our very favorite hamster pet. We got her last year in April and the kids paid for her with all their pennies, dimes, and nickels and I actually made them put their big bag of change up for the cashier to count right around closing .
When we went to pick her out I remember the Petco employee tell us that the hamster will pick you and not the other way around. Well, truth be told that is exactly what happened. We held some dwarf hamsters and they were too jumpy and jittery for us to hold. They made me nervous they would jump out of the cage and run. Kelsey didn't care she stuck her hand in every cage and held, or tried to hold each hamster. When we came to Nilla's cage Kelsey picked her right up and it was over-we had the hamster we would take home-sure enough "the hamster picked us".
Soon the new-ness wore off and everyone left Nilla alone except Kelsey. She took her out EvErYdAy! Most days it was several times. Kelsey would put her in her shirt, pocket, purse, barbie car, hat and basket and carry her around. She would take her outside and try and scare the neighbors. Kelsey had Nilla out in the morning and right before she went to bed. Once when she was sick and she was laying on her bed and I went to check on her only to have her asleep and a little hamster come crawling out of the blankets. Marc finally made a few rules -No hamsters at any meal-whether they were in her shirt or not-, No hamsters need to come for scriptures or prayers and finally, Do not use hamsters to make people nervous. Nilla was well loved the entire year we had her.

Things started going down hill a week ago when I noticed she was sick. We tried everything we could to help her without taking her to the vet. I really thought she would pull out of it but on Friday we realized her fate was inevitable. Kelsey was at a friends for a late night and we debated all afternoon on whether or not to bring her home to say good-bye. After a few hours Marc and I decided to pick her up and bring her home. She sobbed the entire way home and ran up the stairs and into the house to hold and love on her favorite pet. Nilla had a wet head from all the tears and kisses.

Soon it was over and time to make her a little box with bedding and a little blanket. Kelsey printed off the above picture of her and Nilla after we first got her. She also wrote a few notes on the top of the box that read-"I love you!", "You made my days", "There is a hole in my heart", "You make me smile", and "Love is for you". We put everyone to bed and left Nilla in her box (that was taped with packaging tape so no bugs would get in) on top of the counter ready for burial in the morning. When I went to check on everyone before I went to bed I noticed the box was gone and went into the girl's room and found the box, un-taped and laying next to Kelsey's bed.

We buried her next to the big rock and Kelsey planted a Hyacinth as a marker. As a mother it isn't the hamster I miss so much but my heart just breaks for my little 8-year-old who is truly mourning the life of her little friend.

Nilla
April 2011-April 2012
1 comment:
Hey Steph! Well after I stopped crying, I wanted to tell you how touched I was by your post and the sweet spirit of Kelsey! This really touched me and I am so sad for her loss! I hope she is doing better and still smiling and sharing her bright spirit. Hope to come and see all of you this summer!! Love you!!
Post a Comment