Amelia Bedelia has always been a favorite in our home. Amelia is a housekeeper who takes everything literally. For instance when asked to make a sponge cake she actually puts sponges in the cake, or when she is asked to dress the turkey she makes clothes for it and dresses the bird. My kids love listening to all the mischief she gets into. We even saw a cute play about all the silly situations she gets herself in. This week I have had a few of my own Amelia Bedelia days.Instance #1-Last week I was buying ice cream for a Young Women activity and was in a hurry when I was coming home. I rushed to pick the kids up from school and they helped me carry the bags into the house. While I was putting items away I handed Kelsey the 2 buckets of ice cream and told her to take them downstairs (where the big freezer lives). We then ran back out the door to finish all our errands and activities. About a half hour went by and I turned to Kelsey to confirm she took the ice cream downstairs in which she replied yes she had. I then asked if she actually put the ice cream in the freezer in which she replied "no, I just took it downstairs." We rushed home and put the ice cream in the right place.
Instance #2-We have been shaking up the room situation here and in so doing we decided to paint and get new bedding. This little project has taken the better part of 2 weeks and all our free time-little of it that there is-and putting our home in complete upset. Something that puts me in a complete state of anxiety but that is another problem. . .I digress. I set to wash all the new bedding and Kamryn asked if she could help open all the packages. I gave her the OK while I was standing in the laundry room and told her to put the bedding outside the door. I then went to move clothes and shoes in another room. I came out a short time later and noticed the bedding was not outside the laundry room door. I went room to room thinking she was playing with the sheets and finally found her downstairs. When I asked she replied she put them outside the door. I asked her to show me and sure enough. . .the sheets where literally outside our front door.
I love the Amelia Bedelia instances in life. They keep me on my toes and make me smile.
3 comments:
That just made my day! Thanks for the laugh and for the company this afternoon--you're the best!
OH Steph, that was classic! I always loved Amelia myself, and I didn't think kids now a days would still be reading those books! What priceless moments we have as mothers!!!
We love Amelia Bedelia, too. Once, my mother asked my father to put some leftovers in the woodstove. My father questioned her about it and she snapped at him to just do it. So...he obediently put them in with the burning wood, not in the OVEN part so they could be reheated. Whoops. We've laughed about that for years.
Post a Comment