Saturday, September 26, 2009

Harvest

When we moved into this home the previous owners had a beautiful garden area. They planted herbs which came up even a few years after they left. Since Conner and Kelsey were little I didn't bother on keeping a garden and then the next year we planted everything under the sun only to become pregnant with Kamryn and realize it was too hard to bend to pick weeds. Last year I planted a few things and the plants were going well until we went to Nauvoo for 2 weeks and the weeds over took everything. Going into this spring I wasn't very optimistic but decided I would try 4 plants and start small. I kept up on the watering and weeding and now we have veggies!! I am so tickled to actually have kept something (other than my children and the dog) alive. My kids have had a great time going out to the garden to shop for the ingredients we need. Conner loves to water and watch how everything gets bigger.
I know, I know these veggies might not be hard for ordinary people to grow but for me it was quite the accomplishment. I started with the items that were easy and maybe next year I will branch out with pumpkins. . .
We picked out this zucchini this morning and instead of thinking fried zucchini or zucchini bread Kelsey thought baby. She dressed it, fed it, burped it and currently it is sleeping with a blanket on her bed. I cringe to think what will happen in a couple weeks when it gets mushy and stinky.

2 comments:

larifunk said...

Good for you! See - it's not so hard!

Amber said...

Kelsey is hilarious...and good job with the garden thing!