Being sick. . .
really sucks but since that is a naughty word in our house we will stick with-stinks.
I am usually a healthy person with a few colds here and there but nothing that keeps me down. The last time I was really sick was right after the twins were born they were actually 3 months old and I came down with a sinus infection and went to the doctor to get the normal penicillin I have taken before no biggie right!?! That is what I thought.
A few hours later I called Marc to tell me that we had mosquitoes in the house because I was being eaten alive. I had all these little bumps all over my arms. When he got home he took me to the doctor and he informed us that I was having an allergic reaction to the penicillin and to stop taking it. Now since I was nursing the twins I wasn't able to take other medications but now that I stopped the penicillin we were in the clear.
Boy was I wrong. The next morning it was so much worse. I had bumps and rashes EvErYwHeRe!! On top of my head, legs, arms. torso, bottoms of my feet (which made it difficult to walk), on the palms of my hands which made it almost impossible to nurse the twins without Marc handing them to me, in my mouth, and down my throat. I couldn't eat-the doctor told me that for the sores I saw on the outside there were the same on the inside.
A friend came over and we were off to the emergency room. They gave me a few shots and some drugs to run through my system so I wouldn't be able to nurse for 12 hours but then they wanted me to stop the nursing and continue taking other medication. Well I was dedicated to nursing these helpless creatures so with the help of the La Leche nurses who worked with the doctors to find alternatives everything worked out. It took a little longer to heal from the sores but I was able to nurse my babies and that was important to me.
Well this week started fine but I was getting a little achy on Tuesday. We had a fun playdate to 7 peaks so I didn't give it a second thought. The weather was perfect!! It wasn't too hot or too crowded and the kids had so much fun that we stayed for 6 hours and even after we applied sun screen twice a couple of us got a little too much sun.
When we came home I felt even worse I just thought it was too much sun. Well it wasn't. That night I was hit by the flu and tried my best to muddle through the next day to get the things done that needed to and that was all.
A group of us headed to girls camp, that night, to help out with their walk to Christ (which was wonderful) and it was all I could do not to sit down the entire time but I was pumped on Advil and Tylenol. On the way home down American Fork Canyon we saw a massive search on for a little 8 year old boy who had fallen into the river. Now when I say massive I mean it. Every search and rescue, cop, fire, and ambulance in 3 different cities came to comb the water or just watch by the river's edge. It gave me goose bumps as we drove slowly down the canyon and saw so many people hoping and watching for this little boy. They did find him but he died. It was humbling...
Now back to me being sick...
I spent all Thursday in bed and a lot of Friday so today I thought was my day to get what I needed to get done done. NO. I woke up early to run and couldn't make it all the way through. I am training for a race and feel really discouraged not to be able to run these last few days. But talking with my dad this morning he told me, 'professional athletes who are sick or injured don't train or practice they just play'. So hopefully I have trained enough for it to carry me into next week and I can 'just play'.
I had errands on my list and only made it to one before I came home in tears because I couldn't do what I wanted to do. So now I am done complaining and instead am going to write down the reasons I am grateful to be sick and have to stay in bed:
1. I have time to type really long blog pots
2. My kids have been wonderful at taking care of me
3. I can look out my window and see our beautiful backyard with the tree that we love
4. I have lost weight since I don't eat
5. Everyone of my kids and husband has come to lay with me and just talk
6. I haven't done any dishes for days
7. I haven't spent money
8. A wonderful friend brought me a strawberry shake-Thank You!!
9. I have learned to say "no" to certain things because I just physically can't
and finally
10. The days go by just a little slower and when I am always going at 120 miles an hour I am enjoying the slower phase.
I may not be better today and maybe not even tomorrow but it will come and life will speed up again so for today I am grateful for my "Polly Anna" list.
No comments:
Post a Comment