Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Halloween


I did not buy any costumes this year instead our children were left to find what they could at home and come up with their own costume. Conner was a skeleton and in this picture he is a little grumpy because Coco who was also dressed as a skeleton was not in the picture. Kamryn got her dress up for her birthday and it is a Tinker Bell costume but if you ask her what she is she replies "a BEAUTIFUL Thumblina". Kelsey found this dress at a yard sale and decided immediately she would be a Queen. I don't know when we graduated from a princess to a Queen but she was happy. Kylie was a leopard/cat. She was so cute and came up with how everything would go in the costume. McKenna was a book worm which is just what she is anyway. She was so cute at the beginning trying to decide what to be and not really exited about dressing up but since she is still in 6th grade they do. I wish we got a better picture of her costume because she actually drew the entire book cover. She is quite the artist. McKenna is my little girl who is 11 going on 22.

I am not a fan of Halloween. . .
  • I don't like the notion of my kids going and knocking on neighbors doors expecting candy. There is a sort of greediness about the whole thing I don't like.
  • I don't like the goriness of the holiday and everything that goes along with it.
  • I hate the pressure of finding costumes-either in the buying of something new or in the finding and making of the costume. I think there is a creativeness in coming up with a costume instead of just going to the store and picking something off the rack.
  • I hate all the candy. I instead give out pretzels. . .much to my husband's disappointment.
  • And this year I especially hated the fact that the first group of 7 or so kids who were so impatient that while I was taking pictures of my children at the door they helped themselves into my home in search of candy.

That being said I DO love the fall season. The cooler weather, pumpkins and fall leaves are so inviting. I also love the spell of my pumpkin and spice candle, eating pumpkin cookies and snuggling with my kids when the nights get cooler.

2 comments:

larifunk said...

I hate Halloween too. We should all unite somehow and do something really anti-Halloween instead. I don't know what that would be, but I'm sure there's something.

Amber said...

Or you both could love Halloween like I do...its much easier!! You girls need to work on your relationship with Halloween :) It's fun, all the cute decorations, making fun costumes, having a reason to dress up and act crazy, carving pumpkins, etc!! And candy corn, who doesn't love candy corn? Come spend a Halloween with me and I'm sure you'll like it much more! Haha, I'm just giving you a hard time but it really is a fabulous Holiday,(in my opinion) :)