Saturday, August 23, 2008

A lesson from a 5 year old

Have you ever had a day when you were so busy, that getting the task at hand done was the only thing on your mind? Please tell me I am not the only one who puts off, and puts off my kids so I can get things done!!!???!

Well today was one of those days. . .The stake asked us to be a investigator family for a missionary activity they were having for the Young Men. At 11am we would be visited by two (perspective) missionaries who we would listen to their door approach then invite them in and hear the first decision. The second elders we would reject at the door and the third we would invite in for lunch and hear the first decision again. Our agenda for the morning was busy. . .we had baths, a sleepover from the night before to clean up, dishes to wash and as a topper it is Kami's 3rd birthday. I was trying to make a nice lunch as well as braid hair, hear the door approaches, wrap presents, bake a cake and vacuum up the popcorn crumbs from the night before.

During the confusion Conner trips and falls while playing outside and Marc tends to his needs but he wants me to "snuggle". I am in the middle of cutting veggies for a veggie tray, making punch and decorating the cake I am on a time crunch and don't have time for a "snuggle". After a few minutes he has stopped crying but asks again. I tell him that when I am at a place where I can stop I will come and sit down with him. He slowly walks away. The first elders approach and leave and I run back to the kitchen to finish up only to have Conner come behind me with his wallet and hand me all three of his pennies. He told me he would give them all to me if I would snuggle with him. I stopped everything. . .and we had a good, long "snuggle". It only takes a 5 year old to put things in perspective. They won't be little forever and I will "snuggle" whenever he wants because soon he won't want to anymore. . .

2 comments:

Becca said...

That's so sweet. I'm sooooo guilty of putting off all my kids, especially Ben to get things done. Hopefully I can use your lesson and take the time to take care of what is most important first and let everything else fall into place on its own!

Michelle said...

I didn't cry when I sent Kolby to kindergarten for the first time today, but I almost broke when I read this post. We all tend to put off cuddles over the tasks that "must" be completed in the day. I'm so grateful for the reminder to take time for the moment that are going to so quickly pass me by. Thanks for sharing.
Michelle Federkeil